Celebrating our 25th Anniversary in 2021!
The Northern Rivers of New South Wales stretches from the mighty Clarence River in the South up to Tweed Heads on the Queensland border and out to the foothills of the Great Divide. It’s where the world’s largest expanse of subtropical rainforest meets mountains forged from ancient volcanoes, overlooking more than 300 kilometres of spectacular coastline.
Counter-culturalists, environmentalists, farmers, artists, academics, entertainers, entrepreneurs and more co-exist in a unique collection of communities. If nothing else, they have this in common; an appreciation that this region offers an unrivalled quality of life for residents and visitors alike.
The Zonta Club of the Northern Rivers of NSW was established in 1996, and is a member of Zonta International.
We promote the ideals of service, advancement of the status of women, networking, and personal development for women.
We support Zonta International service projects, advocacy for women inAustraliaand in developing countries, and local community service projects.
Fundraising by our club supports local and international service projects.
Local Service Projects
- 1996 Established a clinical room for Sexual Assault Service at LismoreBaseHospital
- 1997 Funded conflict resolution training course for year 8 students in local high schools.
- 1998 Furnished a women’s room at Lismore Court House for domestic violence cases.
- 1999 Funded an emergency mobile phone link for women in crisis.
- Provided overnight children’s supplies and emergency supplies for local Women’s Refuge.
- Supplied linen, soft toys and toiletries for Koori Women’s Refuge.
- 2000 Established a designated private room at Lismore Base Hospital for women and families suffering from the experience of stillbirth or miscarriage.
- 2002 Repaired, repainted and furnished emergency accommodation at local Women’s Refuge.
- Provided funds to Northern Rivers Family Care Centre.
- Set up women’s safety rooms at local courthouses.
- 2003 Set up women’s safety room at Ballina Court House.
- 2004 Donated funds for monthly tea and coffee for Family Care Cottage at St Vincent’s Hospital.
- Set up women’s safety room at Mullumbimby Court House
- 2005 Provided care packs for women admitted to Richmond Clinic and emergency ward at Lismore Base Hospital.
- 2006 Helped to establish office facilities for the ‘Aunty’ Project in Byron Bay.
- 2007 Refurbished the relocated Zonta Room at Lismore Base Hospital
- 2008 Continued to provide care packs. Added post-natal care packs for the outreach program of the Aboriginal Maternal Infant Service.
- 2009 Commenced bursary at ACE to assist women returning to work.
- 2010 Provided care packs to Mental Health support networks
- 2011 Purchase of Christmas gifts for Women Up North Housing families
- 2012 Provide Housewarming packs to Women Up North Housing Cooperative women and families
- 2018 Provided funds to assist with speakers at the Lismore Women’s Festival
- 2019 Established the Little Angels Memorial Garden at Lismore Crematorium
Young Women in Public Affairs Young Women in Public Affairs is an international competition open to girls aged 16 – 21, usually drawn from all local high schools.
The Zonta Club of the Northern Rivers has been active in this program since 1999. It has encouraged more young women to participate in public and political life by recognizing a commitment to the volunteer sector, evidence of volunteer leadership achievements, and a dedication to the advancement of the status of women.
The Young Women in Public Affairs (YWPA) Awards assist young women who have demonstrated leadership skills and interest in civic causes to continue pursuing their dreams. Entries close each year by the end of March. Details on the Zonta International website.
Zonta Club of Northern Rivers holds its regular dinner meeting on the third Wednesday night of each month at Alstonville Bowls and Sports Club from 6pm.
We have a range of interesting guest speakers at dinner meetings.
Every Zonta member has input into club activities through committee participation.
If you would like to attend a Dinner Meeting contact our President: Lyndall Smith on 0424 427077 or send an email: email or by mail to Zonta Club of Northern Rivers, PO Box 108, Alstonville, NSW, 2477.
To find out more about the activities of Zonta Clubs throughout District 22 Click here
In December 2021 we will celebrate our 25th birthday with a function on Sunday 5th December in Ballina. Contact us on the details above if you would like more information.
Zonta Says No Tea Towels are now available to order.FINAL Teatowel Flyer ZontaNR