Celebrating Safer Families (May, 2017)
- On Saturday 6th May, 2017: United Synergies held its annual Celebrating Safer Families Event at Gympie Terrace Lions Park, supported by Noosa Council. It is part of Domestic & Family Violence Prevention month to encourage the Noosa community to stand up against domestic violence and to help change culture and attitudes.
- The Zonta Club of Noosa Inc joined other not for profit organisations and community services to take a ‘Take A Stand #Together For Safer Families’ Free event.
- The event provided an important platform to educate and support people who are either experiencing or are affected by domestic violence, and to give families an opportunity to come together and celebrate what a ‘safe family’ means.
- Domestic abuse impacts 1 in 3 women nationally and the Sunshine Coast region sits high in Queensland for reported incidents. The Sunshine Coast Vulnerable Persons Unit reported recently there were 56 domestic violence incidents in the Sunshine Coast district alone between Good Friday and Easter Monday this year.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Engagement and Cultural Advisor from Relationships Australia, Deborah Bennet was the keynote speaker for the day and she shared her knowledge and experience of domestic violence and how she now works with Relationship Australia to help build stronger families and more respectful relationships.
- Beautiful weather, a range of free activities/information and a readily accessible location served to entice the Sunshine Coast Community members to attend the ‘2017 Safer Families Day’.
- (Data Source: https://mysunshinecoast.com.au/news/news-display/noosa-community-rallies-against-domestic-violence-with-celebrating-safer-families-event,49059)