The Zonta Club of Pine Rivers is based in the Moreton Bay region, roughly covering the area previously known as Pine Rivers Shire. We are a service organisation that—through fundraising and advocacy—supports service projects assisting women and girls to live safe and productive lives.
Our members come from a range of professions, some retired, and are of various ages. We live in suburbs stretching from Lawnton to Keperra, and are currently seeking new members to join us!
Our club meets monthly, on the second Wednesday of each month. These dinner meetings are held at Albany Creek Tavern, beginning at 6.30 pm. On occasions, we have guest speakers attend the dinner meetings.
Our service projects
The club supports local, Zonta District 22 (Queensland) and Zonta International service projects.
Our local projects include:
- assisting the Strathpine Domestic Violence Unit to support women and children in need by providing hampers of donated goods, based on need, such as baby products or Christmas hampers
- contributing to the tertiary education of a low-income sole-parent female through our $3,500 Zonta Pine Rivers QUT Equity Scholarship
- meeting the cost of a local high school to run the R.A.V.E.S (recognise; assess; vocalise; escape; survive) personal safety program
- funding the training of instructors for the national Love Bites school-based domestic and family violence and sexual assault prevention program
- sewing and assembling breast cushions for regional hospitals to provide comfort to women who have undergone mastectomies
- collecting and delivering sanitary and toiletry products for homeless women in support of Share the Dignity campaigns
- organising birthing kit assembly days, in support of Birthing Kit Foundation Australia, for use in developing countries to improve the chance of survival for newborn babies and their mothers
- supporting A Brave Life, which assists teen mothers to continue their education and reach their full potential.
- providing grants of up to $1000, through the Zonta Club of Pine Rivers Mini Grant program
- responding, on a case-by-case basis, to other requests for donations to help women and girls in our local community.
We also donate a third of all funds we raise to Zonta International Service Projects, which are run in conjunction with United Nations agencies such as UN Women. These specific and monitored projects improve the lives of thousands of women and girls in developing countries. You can read more about these life-changing projects on the Zonta International website.
Our fundraising activities
The service work of the club is made possible through the amazing fundraising efforts of our members.
Our current fundraising initiatives include:
- regular sausage sizzles at Bunnings Carseldine
- special events such as International Women’s Day luncheon , trivia nights and fashion events
- various stalls at local community events
- applications for local and state government grants.
As a club chartered under Zonta International, we support their Zonta says NO campaign, calling for an end to violence against women and girls worldwide.
The Zonta Club of Pine Rivers also supports the Queensland Government’s campaign NOT NOW, NOT EVER : Putting an end to domestic and family violence in Queensland.
If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic or family violence, call DV Connect on 1800 811 811 (available 24 hours, 7 days) for advice on safety strategies and available support services.
If you are considering becoming a member, or wish to find out more about our club, we’d love to hear from you. Call Bronwyn Evans on 0417 077 292 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mini grant applications
To apply for a Zonta Club of Pine Rivers Mini Grant, please complete the application form then scan and send by email (email@example.com) or mail the original to us at PO Box 447, Lawnton Qld 4501.
Like to present at one of our meetings? Interested in partnering with our club on a project? Able to donate goods to support one of our service projects? Please send details by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you a Facebook user? Keep up with our news and be part of our community by liking our Facebook page.