Our coastal city of Mackay with over 120,000 people is located about halfway between Brisbane and Cairns – truly the centre of Queensland. With its coastal location and an annual temperature of 23 degrees Celsius Mackay offers residents and visitors alike a relaxed, tropical lifestyle that combines all the facilities of a modern regional city with an array of natural wonders.
The Coral Sea, deserted islands, the Great Barrier Reef and fantastic fishing and scuba diving are all on our doorstep. The mountains – complete with their crystal clear streams, rain forests and unique flora and fauna – are also an easy drive away. And of course there is the Pioneer River – one of the few blue-water rivers along the Queensland coast.
Mackay is the largest sugar producing area in Australia. The city is also a vital service centre for the mines of the nearby Bowen Basin which produce 85% of the state’s coal. The beef and tourism industries are also important to Mackay’s economic base and this diversity has helped the city to maintain its prosperity.
The Zonta Club of Mackay was chartered in October 1992. Our club is part of Area 5 (Mackay, north to Cairns and west to Mt Isa), comprising nine clubs with over 200 members. Area 5 is in District 22 which encompasses Queensland and northern New South Wales (Northern Rivers), comprising 42 clubs.
To achieve the objectives of Zonta International, the Mackay Club works to improve the status of women of all ages through addressing education, health and economic needs in our local community. We are also strong supporters of the Zonta Internationals ZONTA SAYS NO campaign and more information is at Zonta Says NO
- International Women’s Day (IWD) The 2018 IWD Brunch is on 4/3/18. Further details coming
- Candle Lighting Ceremony – In memory of those who have died as a result of Domestic and Family Violence. May each year – 2018 details to be advised.
- Reclaim the Night – Last Friday in October. The 2017 event is on 27/10/2017 starting at 5.30pm at the Blue Water Quay, River St Mackay.
- UN Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. Come and say hello at our stall at Mt Pleasant Shopping Centre on 25 November
- ZONTA SAYS NO TO VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMAN
- White Ribbon Day – 25 November
- Annual Women in Science Breakfast
- Sponsorship to schools to run programs that promote living skills and self-esteem.
- Young Women in Public Affairs Award recognises leadership in young women in senior secondary school.
- Enhancing the Status of Women through promotion and support for International Women’s Day on 8 March each year
- Scholarship to a woman doing the STEPS program at CQU
- Jane M Klausman award is awarded to a woman currently completing a Business degree. Applications opening early in 2018.
- Provision of breast care cushions to local hospitals for breast cancer patients – 2018 date to be advised.
- Assembly of Zonta birthing kits for delivery to developing Countries – 2018 date to be advised..
Z Clubs and Golden Z Clubs
The Mackay club sponsors Z Clubs in the following schools in the Mackay District:
- CQUni Golden Z Club
- Holy Spirit College – HSC Z Club
- Mirani High School – Mirani Z Club
- North Mackay High School – HOWW (Helping Others World Wide) Z Club
- Northern Beaches High School – Northern Beaches Z Club
- Pioneer State High School – PSHS Z Club
- Sarina High School – Zarina Z Club
- St Patricks College – St Pats Z Club
- Whitsunday Anglican School – WAS Z Club
Young Women In Public Affairs
The 2018 Young Women in Public Affairs Award will open around November 2018. Applications will be available through your school or university or by emailing the club firstname.lastname@example.org. The winner will be announced at the Zonta International Women’s Day Brunch on 7 March 2019.
The Mackay club sponsors the Mackay Women in Business lunch – a networking and knowledge forum for women in business. This group meets monthly on the second Friday of the month.
Dinner meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each month at the Ocean International Bridge Rd Mackay – 6.00 for 6.30pm. Enquiries regarding membership or to attend a meeting, contact the Club President by email or write to Post Office Box 1233, Mackay. Qld. 4740. You can also find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ZontaMackay